1 bowl peas
3 small onions
1/2 inch ginger (or to taste)
Ground masala: 1/2 inch cinnamon, 3 cloves, 2 cardamoms, 3 buds of anise, 5 peppercorns. Make a powder using a mortar and pestle.
Masalas: Asafetida, Coriander powder, cumin powder, garam masala, red chilli powder, amchur powder, salt.
Oil for cooking
- Parboil potatoes and peas in a cooker for 3 whistles.
- Heat oil in a karahi (wok).
- Add hing (Asafetida) when the oil is hot.
- Add ground masala
- Add minced ginger and fry for 30 seconds on medium flame.
- Turn flame to High, add Onions, and fry till golden brown.
- Add Potatoes and Peas.
- Cook till the potatoes and peas are almost cooked.
- Add the rest of the masalas, and wait till the potatoes are well cooked.Add a little water if the masalas stick to the pan to avoid burning.